IP address and domain name

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Mon Mar 8 19:20:39 UTC 2004

On Sunday 07 March 2004 21:43, peter wrote:
> I have a 24 / 7 computer broadband connection......

Very nice to have.

> I receive a
> Dymanically alocated IP address from my ISP. Is there a way to
> somehow give my computer a permanet IP address so People can always
> find the materail in my hard drive.

Way off topic for this newsgroup! Nonetheless you've already gotten a
couple of useful replies. Here's a third.

The "right" thing to do in accordance with most ISP's TOS and AUP
agreements is to pay the ISP for a static IP. Usually this means a
business account. There are many other options, and you can probably
get away with hosting your own domain on a typical cable modem or xDSL
connection, but if you're in violation of TOS the ISP could shut you
down without warning. Not good if you're depending on the email, or
whatever.

> My goalis to get a domain name
> pointed to that IP address and thus my computer.

One superb dynamic DNS service not mentioned thus far is zoneedit.com.
You must obtain a domain name and have the registrar point the
nameservers to the zoneedit servers you're given. Then you can use a
simple wget command (called from your pppd or DHCP client's command
which is run whenever you get a new IP) to update the zoneedit servers.

When you gain in experience and understanding you can run your own BIND
server as master for the zoneedit slaves. Then you can come back and
post here again. :)
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header