Reverse Zone/subZone delegation

Fredrich P. S. Maney maney at maney.org
Sun Mar 7 05:41:30 UTC 2004

I've posted this to both bind9-users and bind-users, hope that's ok.
I've also fudged the IPs and domains to protect the guilty and keep
the security weenies off my back.

I've been tasked with handing DNS administration off to a different
group that doesn't really know Unix or command line interfaces. So I
have been trying to clean everything up and make maintenance of the
zone files as simple as possible. Part of that is putting each subnet
(192.168.0.0/24) in our class B (192.168.0.0/16) into it's own zonefile
(but only for the reverse zones since the entire class B is in one
namespace -- so the forward zone is one big file).

I believe that I know the answer to this question (thanks to a very
fine response that I stumbled across in the bind9-users archive from
2001-07-25 by Jim Reid), but since his response dealt with forward
zones, I'd like to verify it before I implement it in a production
environment.

I think I need something similiar to the following in the "root" class
B zone file:
================= Class B Reverse Zonefile ===========================
$ORIGIN .
$TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
168.192.in-addr.arpa.   IN SOA  domain.org. dns.admin\@domain.org. (
                                 2004030600 ; serial
                                 900        ; refresh (15 minutes)
                                 300        ; retry (5 minutes)
                                 86400      ; expire (1 day)
                                 3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
                                 )
                         NS      ns1.domain.org.
                         NS      ns2.domain.org.
$ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
1                       PTR     ns1.domain.org.
2                       PTR     ns2.domain.org.
$ORIGIN 2.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
1                       PTR     ns1.domain.org.
2                       PTR     ns2.domain.org.
$ORIGIN 3.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
1                       PTR     ns1.domain.org.
2                       PTR     ns2.domain.org.
================= Class B Reverse Zonefile ===========================

And then in each of the "delegated" class C zonefiles, I need something
similiar to the following:

================= Delegated Class C Reverse Zonefile =================
$ORIGIN .
$TTL 3600       ; 1 hour
1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.   IN SOA  domain.org. dns.admin\@domain.org. (
                                 2004030600 ; serial
                                 900        ; refresh (15 minutes)
                                 300        ; retry (5 minutes)
                                 86400      ; expire (1 day)
                                 3600       ; minimum (1 hour)
                                 )
                         NS      ns1.domain.org.
                         NS      ns2.domain.org.
$ORIGIN 1.168.192.in-addr.arpa.
1                       PTR     ns1.domain.org.
2                       PTR     ns2.domain.org.
================= Delegated Class C Reverse Zonefile =================

Does that look correct? Does anyone see any gotchas that I should look
out for? Do I need to create stanzas and zone files for all possible
networks in the class B, or just the ones that we are using? What about
for name servers outside our control that may be caching or secondarying
our zones. Anything to worry about there?

In case it matters, we are using 9.2.3.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

fpsm
--
Fredrich Patterson Sebastian Maney

    "The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will
    he ever receive either." - Benjamin Franklin