CNAME on a second level domain

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Mar 1 22:07:20 UTC 2004

In article <c20aql$2pkd$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Roger Ward <roger.ward at national-net.com> wrote:

> I noticed a long time ago that bind9 wouldn't take a CNAME for a second
> level domain.  Is this against a RFC, or just simply how things were
> done in bind 8 / 9?

There's nothing special about any level of the DNS hierarchy.

Maybe what you mean is that the second-level domain is the name of the
zone.  Since a zone has to have SOA and NS records, and DNS rules
prohibit a CNAME record from having other records of its own, it's not
possible to use the zone name as a CNAME.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA