delegation of subnet to remote DNS?

andrew kagan aklist_061666 at enigmedia.com
Fri Jul 30 18:51:54 UTC 2004

Hi All:

I have a client for whom I'm providing DNS and webhosting services. They
recently got static-IP ADSL service for their office through SBC. They've
started running their own mail out of the office, but they're having
connection problems with AOL, etc.

SBC's reverse zone has a PTR of "adsl-XX-XX-XX-XXX.dsl.lsan03.pacbell.net"
(where the XX's are the IP address).

The client says AOL told them that the NAME of the IP address was reason
enough for them to block it...not even that the IP address itself was in a
blacklist.

SBC is refusing to change the PTR to a friendlier name. They suggested,
since we're providing the DNS for the domain, that they delegate authority
for the IP address reverse zone to us.

Since I am nowhere near SBC's pool of IPs, I'm just wondering a) if it's
even possible or may cause more problems and b) if this is a common thing to
do?

TIA, Andrew