ISP fake result

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jul 27 00:24:32 UTC 2004

samsouk wrote:

>Hello,
>
>my isp is returning a fake address for non-existant domain names
>
>------------------------------------
>host xsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxsxs.com 194.117.200.10
>Using domain server:
>Name: 194.117.200.10
>Address: 194.117.200.10#53
>Aliases:
>
>xsxsxsxs.com has address 82.97.10.68
>------------------------------------
>
>this dns (194.117.200.10) is always returning 82.97.10.68 wich is the
>address of a web-server. The isp says it is to help customers (!!!)
>
>I have bind-9.2.2 on my local network, acting as a caching nameserver.
>Is it possible to filter these results (replacing 82.97.10.68 with a
>'not-found' result) ?
>
>I know I can block this on the firewall but I really need valid dns-lookup

Are you forwarding to your ISP's nameserver(s)? If so, then you can fix
the problem by not forwarding to them any more.

If they are modifying your DNS packets on-the-fly, then this is
extremely bad. They should be whacked upside the head for doing things
like that. Or, if you prefer a less violent approach, get a new ISP.

- Kevin