Bind 9.2.2 - secondary zone files not being update after rndc on primary

Vinson Armstead - PA Vinson_Armstead at GMACM.COM
Fri Jul 23 19:03:23 UTC 2004

Hello,
It seems we are having an issue with DNS-Notify and/or rndc.

We have 4 bind 9.2.2 name servers

Location #1
Master - 10.10.210.46
Slave - 10.10.210.47

Location #2
Slave - 10.10.25.46
Slave - 10.10.25.47

Option parameters
Master:
options { notify-source 192.206.210.46; transfer-source 192.206.210.46; };

Slaves:
options { allow-notify { 192.206.210.46; }; };

When I update the zone files on the primary name server and run "rndc
reload" the primary reads the updated zone files and load it into cache. Our
expectation at that point would be for the Primary to then send out a
DNS-Notify message to all the slaves and then the slaves would pull the
updates zone files from the Master.

Well the slaves are not pulling the updates, even after running "rndc
reload" on the slaves. We usually have to kill the named process and restart
or even delete the zone file on the slaves and then restart bind.

The notify.log on the master says "sending notifies (serial xxxxxx)"
whenever we initiate the "rndc reload" and in the x-fer.log is see all the
messages referencing "AXFR-style IXFR started".

On the slaves, while they are slaves for all the zones the notify.log file
says "sending notifies (serial xxxxxx)" for all zones after a restart of the
process and the x-fer.log shows lots of entries "xxxxx/IN from
10.10.210.46#53: end of transfer" (does not seem to show all our zone).

Like I said, while it seems to be working the slaves are not being updated.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Vinson