Website failover

Pete Tenereillo pt_bind at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 20 19:41:14 UTC 2004

Actually, since the stated requirements are "web" and " the same request
goes automatically to server B", even a low TTL with a manual failover will
not do. After the switchover, some huge % of users are almost certain to be
stuck on the dead server for 1/2 hour or more (check out
http://www.tenereillo.com/GSLBPageOfShame.htm and other docs on that site
for details about why).

If the servers A and B are co-located, and you absolutely need server B to
get traffic only if A is failed (true active/standby), a local server load
balancer (LSLB) is the answer. Cisco/F5/Nortel/etc. sell those. If you need
a cost effective one, check out loadbalancer.org. If you don't need true
active/standby, just return both A records and let A and B share the load.