GPRS. domain Root server

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Tue Jul 20 09:21:22 UTC 2004

Brook Harty <harty at ironwolve.com> wrote:
> Anyone know if there is a GPRS root domain server? British telecom had
> the primary and secondary servers up, but have decided to stop
> providing this service. They don't want to be a GRX provider anymore.

No. It has been suggested, but rejected. It's unclear what benefits
it should give the world,

> I'm manually putting in everyone's .gprs mnc/mcc domain address, and
> it's kind of crazy, since its a normal DNS architecture!

> What is the possibility about getting GPRS. into the normal Internet
> root servers? (Or is this Crazy talk?)
None. Better educate admins in the telecom industry about sane and scalable
practices.

For instance the phrase "GPRS" comes from a technical implementation of
one way to implement mobile phone systems. And as such short-lived and
transient. What is the problem they try to solve by using "gprs" ?

--
Peter Håkanson