Reverse lookup of selected IP addresses without delegation agreement?

Ralph bind-users at sentries.org
Thu Jul 15 13:45:19 UTC 2004

Hi,

is there a recommended way to set up BIND to allow reverse lookups for
selected, single IP addresses?

Background: I want to make sure that a couple of addresses can be
reverse resolved by our internal DNS, i.e. to allow the mail exchanger
to verify that 66.35.250.206 indeed maps to mail.sourceforge.net, even
if the ISPs name resolvers (configured as forwarders in named.conf)
are unavailable due to networking issues.

Searching the list archives returned info about "classless reverse
delegation"; is this what I need to look into? As far as I understand
it, delegation requires mutual consent. It seems inappropriate to me
to talk about delegation in this special case, because I try to gently
"hijack" the handling of some addresses without the name server
usually responsible for the IP address knowing anything about it.

I hope my babbling makes some sense (*scratches head*)?

Thanks,
Ralph