SPF records for subdomain

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Fri Jul 9 13:27:14 UTC 2004

On Fri, Jul 09, 2004 at 08:44:43AM -0400,
 Michele Chubirka <chubirka at gwu.edu> wrote
 a message of 14 lines which said:

> I have delegated a subdomain to a user who has asked me to do the
> following: Add a CNAME record in my parent domain pointing to his
> mail server.

You mean:

user   IN   NS ns1.user
user   IN   NS ns2.user
user   IN   CNAME mail.user

?

It seems to be "CNAME and other data", which is bad (with an exception
for DNSsec).

And it seems useless. Since he has the delegation, why doesn't he add
it itself? Paying customers have the right to shoot themeselves in the
foot :-)

> an SPF record in my parent domain which points to this same CNAME
> record.

There are no real SPF records. You mean a TXT record with SPF data?
And what is a "SPF record which points to this same CNAME"? If you
mean:

user   IN   NS ns1.user
user   IN   NS ns2.user
user   IN   CNAME mail.user
user   IN   TXT  "v=spf1 mx -all"

My response is the same ("CNAME and other data are bad").