Unable to resolve anything on "fannindemocrats.org" domain?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Thu Jul 8 14:49:10 UTC 2004

In article <ccjiqt$2ioi$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Danny Mayer <mayer at gis.net>
wrote:

> At 07:53 PM 7/7/2004, Barry Margolin wrote:
> >In article <cchpcc$1tt5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
> >  Sten Carlsen <ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk> wrote:
> >
> > > Basically this would be the meaning of 127.0.0.1, try that instead of
> > > 0.0.0.0 it might work.
> >
> >There actually were some versions of Unix where 127.0.0.1 didn't work
> >properly.  This is mentioned in the Cricket book.
>
> With the BIND tools, this will work. It's not guaranteed with anything else
> but I can't imagine why it wouldn't. It is, after all, a regular IP address.

I think the problem with 127.0.0.1 was when you had additional entries,
i.e.

nameserver 127.0.0.1
nameserver 192.168.10.2

In some old resolver libraries, the local address of the socket would be
bound to the interface used to connect to the first address in the
resolver list, and this same local address would be used when trying to
query a backup server.  So it would try to send from 127.0.0.1 to
192.168.10.2, and this obviously won't work.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA