Interpreting a DNS report

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Tue Jul 6 22:37:49 UTC 2004

Tom Gill wrote:
>Sten,
>
>I appreciate the response.  I agree with my client.  I can find many
>nameservers that are not able to perform the reverse lookup.  Especially
>after looking at the dns report, I definitely see that there is a problem.
>The real problem though is that I am having a hard time understanding where
>to look or what to do.  The dns report says I am missing nameservers as well
>as have lame nameservers.  Do we need to speak with our upstream provider
>(Time Warner Telecom)?

There seems to be two issues here:
- forward lookup: lame nameservers, my server lists
"netra-ns1.orlandotelco.net" as authoratative, not the official servers.
this should be cleared with your DNS service provider/the records at the
upstream provider should be corrected to indicate the nameserver that
will actually be authorative for your domain.

- reverse lookup: there seems to be problems with reverse delegation
further up in the hierachy, there are a lot of explanations in the
archives from the bind-users mail-list. Archives are at isc.org
(somewhere, I don't remember where).

Basically this looks like a mess to me, you need, I guess, a good spring
cleaning.