Master DNS in SOA not found?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jul 2 18:54:20 UTC 2004

In article <cc48dn$30hn$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 "DesignGuy" <dontbother at nowhere.com> wrote:

> This is probably a newbie question but it is giving me fits. I'm trying to
> get the DNS setup on my server (RHEL, Plesk Control Panel). I keep getting
> arrors on DNSReport.com and CheckDNS.net
>
> "WARNING: Your SOA (Start of Authority) record states that your master
> (primary) name server is: domain.com.. However, that server is not listed at
> the parent servers as one of your NS records! This is probably legal, but
> you should be sure that you know what you are doing.
>
> "Master DNS defined by SOA (domain.com) was not found among NS records."
>

> The file domain.com in the directory /var/named/run-root/var contains the
> following:
>
> *** start file ***
>
> $TTL 86400
>
> @ IN SOA domain.com. webmaster.anotherdomain.com. (
>    1088728934 ; Serial
>    10800 ; Refresh
>    3600 ; Retry
>    604800 ; Expire
>    86400 ) ; Minimum
>
> ns.domain.com.   IN NS  ns1.theplanet.com.
> domain.com.   IN A  67.99.99.99
> webmail.domain.com.  IN A  67.99.99.99
> mail.domain.com.  IN A  67.99.99.99
> ftp.domain.com.   IN CNAME  domain.com.
> www.domain.com.   IN CNAME  domain.com.
> domain.com.   IN MX 10 mail.domain.com.
>
> *** end file ***
>
> The primary and secondary nameservers are ns1.theplanet.com and
> ns1.theplanet.com.

Am I blind, or are those the *same*?  One machine can't be both master
and slave (actually, it *is* possible by running multiple named
processes that listen on different IP's, but you'd still need to assign
different names to the IP's).

> Can anyone tell me if the above is correct, and if not what changes should
> be made? Making changes to the file seems to have no effect as far as the
> domain check reports go. Is their a time lag or do changes take effect
> immediately?

The complaint is about "domain.com" in your SOA record.  That field is
supposed to contain the name of the primary master nameserver for the
domain.

If the primary and secondary nameservers are being run by theplanet.com,
why are you creating a zone file of your own anyway?  You should just be
accessing the zone from their nameservers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA