CNAME question

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Jan 30 23:16:16 UTC 2004

In article <bvegsc$qps$1 at sf1.isc.org>, ikelozada at yahoo.com (ike lozada)
wrote:

> Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote in message
> news:<bvc1lf$9pf$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
>

> > Where are you getting this from?  When I look up smtp.azcom.net, the
> > name doesn't exist.  And azcom.net resolves to a different address.
>
> hehe, Sorry but I am still in the process of testing my configuration
> before I put it out that's why it doesnt resolve correctly yet.
> Anyway, the setup is that there is a single server for dns,www and
> mail. now, what I'd like to happen is that when people ping
> "smtp.mydomain.com", the server would reply as "smtp.mydomain.com" as
> well as "www.mydomain.com",etc... however, what it currently does is
> that it replies as the "hostname" of the machine instead of
> "smtp.mydomain.com, www.mydomain.com,etc"

It just does a reverse lookup of the source address in the reply.  If
you want a specific name to show up in ping's output, put that name in
the PTR record.  If you want it to use the name that you originally
specified as a parameter, you're out of luck -- that's not how Windows
ping works.

Why does it even matter, anyway?

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA