external queries slow or timing out

Jim Jarocki jarocki at startribune.com
Thu Jan 29 17:08:25 UTC 2004

I'm running a split DNS configuration, 2 external servers (in the dmz
portion of my network) are running bind-9.2.2, and name servers on the
secure portion are running bind that ships with stock solaris (so usually
some flavor of bind 8).  I am experiencing very slow name service queries
for any domain that I'm not authoritative for from my internal servers
(who forward requests to the external servers).  For example:

ra% nslookup
Default Server:  ra.startribune.com
Address:  132.148.70.53

> set debug
> www.abc.con
Server:  ra.startribune.com
Address:  132.148.70.53

;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, www.abc.con, IN, A)
^C
> www.abc.com
Server:  ra.startribune.com
Address:  132.148.70.53

;; res_nmkquery(QUERY, www.abc.com, IN, A)
timeout
timeout
timeout
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 84, rcode = NOERROR
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 2,  authority records = 4,  additional =
0

    QUESTIONS:
        www.abc.com, type = A, class = IN
    ANSWERS:
    ->  www.abc.com
        canonical name = abc.com
        ttl = 1200 (20M)
    ->  abc.com
        internet address = 199.181.135.201
        ttl = 418 (418)
    AUTHORITY RECORDS:
    ->  abc.com
        nameserver = sens02.dig.com
        ttl = 418 (418)
    ->  abc.com
        nameserver = orns01.dig.com
        ttl = 418 (418)
    ->  abc.com
        nameserver = orns02.dig.com
        ttl = 418 (418)
    ->  abc.com
        nameserver = sens01.dig.com
        ttl = 418 (418)

------------
Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    abc.com
Address:  199.181.135.201
Aliases:  www.abc.com

Notice the 3 timeouts.  That is consistant with any non-cached queries.
Every test with nslookup times out 3 times, then is successful.  A similar
test from the external hosts resolves immediately (no timeouts)  When i
turn on debugging on the external name server, I see the last successful
request, but nothing on the 3 timeouts.  Maybe I just don't understand how
forwarding exact works?

A typical named.conf for an internal name server looks like:

ra% more /etc/named.conf
options {
        //
        //boot file for name server
        //
        //type domain source file or
        //
        directory        "/var/named";
        forwarders       {
                132.148.87.39;
                132.148.87.38;
         };

};

//       };

//};

zone "startribune.com" in {
        type slave;
        file "startribune.db";
        masters { 132.148.25.36; };
};

zone "stribnet.com" in {
        type slave;
        file "stribnet.db";
        masters { 132.148.25.36; };
};

zone "stribsource.com" in {
        type slave;
        file "stribsource.db";
        masters { 132.148.25.36; };
};

 zone "148.132.in-addr.arpa" in {
        type slave;
        file "startribune.rev";
        masters { 132.148.25.36; };
};

 zone "." in {
        type hint;
        file "named.ca";
};

I'm runnning out of things to look at, and of course, the slowness of
lookups are terribly annoying for my users.  If anyone has ideas of
specific things I should look at, please share them.  Thanks in advance.

  -- Steve Wright

Jim Jarocki
Systems Administrator
jarocki at startribune.com