AD & DNS??

Michael E. Hanson MEHanson at GryphonsGate.com
Sun Jan 18 18:53:15 UTC 2004

Personally, I'd have to side with M$ on this one.  If your client PCs =
are to be members of the AD Domain Microstuff.net, then their FQDNs MUST =
be <clienthostname>.<optionalsubdomainname.>Microstuff.net.  The clients =
must also look to their configured DNS server to find the appropriate =
SRV records for the domain/site they are in.  They (the clients) will =
not look one place for the SRV records and another place for normal name =
resolution.  Therefore, whatever solution you provide must include a DNS =
solution that provides both simple name/address resolution and SRV =
resolution from the same server.

However, with the size of your user base, and the implication that it is =
distributed geographically, I would not recommend a single global =
domain.  My recommendation would be to create an AD forest (what you =
called Microstuff.net) with a subdomain for each major geographic =
location.  Further, I would recommend that you set up AD sites for each =
geographic location, each with their own TCP/IP subnet.  This permits =
you to group services (such as DHCP, DNS, AD DC, Applications Servers, =
SMTP relay, etc.) and administration (assuming you have the IT =
department to support it) by geographic area.

If you also have internet connectivity, a public Web/FTP server, and are =
providing your users access to the internet, then I would create a DMZ =
(if you don't already have one) and place a separate and independent DNS =
server in the DMZ strictly to handle DNS requests from the internet for =
your public namespace.  It can also be the forwarder for your internal =
DNS to handle DNS requests for internet addresses from your users, but =
this isn't strictly necessary.  I usually setup this external DNS as a =
BIND DNS, but I would assume QIP or Nomimium would handle the job also.

Which brings me to my last point.  From a security standpoint, you =
probably want to keep your internal and external namespaces separate and =
distinct.  Many security people get nervous (or downright nasty) when AD =
SRV records get exposed to the public.  For this reason alone you might =
be forced into the M$ solution for your internal network.

You might also consider hiring an outside consultant, one who's =
qualified/certified in M$ and is also an experienced internetworking =
engineer.  Microsoft Consulting Services will always give you the strict =
M$ solution and party-line of it can be made to work, and that's not =
always the right or best solution.

Hope this helps...
Michael E. Hanson
President, Gryphon Consulting Services