delegation with multiple NS including localhost

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Thu Jan 8 11:16:11 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 11:59:32AM +0100,
 Sylvain Bertrand <Sylvain.Bertrand at supelec.fr> wrote
 a message of 36 lines which said:

> My /var/named/db.bar.org (on ns.bar.org) would look like this:
>
> #------- CUT HERE -------
> foo          NS          ns.foo.bar.org
> ns.foo.bar   A           101.102.103.104
        ^^^^
        Cut this one

> foo          NS          ns.bar.org
> #------- CUT HERE -------
>
> As you can see, I've delegated foo to both ns.foo.bar.org and
> ns.bar.org, which is localhost.

No problem. ns1.nic.fr, master of ".fr", does delegate gouv.fr to
itself.

> I've seen on this ML's archives that bind would choose the fastest of
> the two NS records for foo, and forward the request.

Not *your* BIND. The BIND of a remote site, trying to use
foo.bar.org.

If *your* BIND is both the authoritative server for foo.bar.org and a
cache/forwarder for local clients, it will not even try to find the
fastest server: it has the data, it replies.

> I know it seems a little bit odd to delegate to yourself,

Not at all.

> (by typing "host -l") this case on a server which delegation to a
> subzone doesn't work well, and I was wondering if these kind of
> records could lead to errors of type 3 (NXDOMAIN), which occur from
> time to time on this server.

Give the name of the culprit and we'll see.

PS: supelec.fr is delegated by us to supelec.supelec.fr and ns2.nic.fr
but the primary, supelec.supelec.fr has a different list, much
longer. You should ask your registrar to update the ".fr" delegation.