Question re: domain NS records

Jeff Lasman blists at nobaloney.net
Tue Jan 6 14:20:30 UTC 2004

On Friday 02 January 2004 12:06 pm, Mike Voss wrote:

> If I want to change the IP of one of my nameservers, when I update it
> in my domain, will it automatically be picked up by all domains using
> it, or would each domain have to be individually modified ?  I know
> when you register a domain you have to enter both name and IP for
> each nameserver, so I'm wondering if either gets dynamically updated
> or if they are forever static in the record until modified.

Many registrars ask for the IP#, and save it in their database, but in
fact the nameservers assigned to a domain for resolution are tracked by
fqdn only; only the fqdn of the assigned nameserver gets set, and later
perhaps updated, in the DNS top-level servers.

So all you need to do is update your "host records" with the registrar
for the domain hosting your nameservers.

We oldtimers have been spoiled because the original whois database, now
maintained by Network Solutions, is a relational database, and whenever
the IP# was changed it showed up in all the whois records for all the
domains using that host.

(There was a time when you could look up data in other tables, such as
the host table, using whois commands, but I believe Network Solutions
has removed that functionality.)

Most other registrars copied the output style, but in a flat database,
so whatever IP# you entered the first time appears forever, though it's
not used for anything; not even from the first day.

Some registrars, knowing the IP# isn't needed, don't even ask for it,
which, imho is better than using a misleading flat file database but
not as good as using a relational database that will always show the
correct information.

If you want your whois records to "look right" and they're hosted at
registrars using a flat-file database you can contact them (methods
differ, at domainbank, for example, you contact their tech support
group by email) and let them know it's been changed and they'll pick up
the new information and put it into their database.

Btw, I'm responding late because I didn't get this post until late
yesterday (while I was out) even though it was sent Friday.  Hmmmmm....
<frown>.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, nobaloney.net, P. O. Box 52672, Riverside, CA  92517 US
Professional Internet Services & Support / Consulting / Colocation