Is this a problem with my ISP

Joel jc517 at wmi.com
Mon Feb 23 16:14:01 UTC 2004

Hi,

We switched our service to a new ISP and are now getting
errors/warnings in our log file. The setup is like this
Outside of the firewall we run version 9.2.1. This forwards
requests to our ISP. Inside the firewall the primary DNS
runs version 8.2.2-P7 and forwards to the external machine.

When we restart the primary inside the firewall we get
log entries that say

sysquery: no addrs found for root NS (J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET)

We also get these on the secondary (version 8.4.4) only there
are lots of them. The primary only has one for each server.

These do not show up on the external (version 9.2.1) machine.
If I use a different forwarders for my external machine we don't
see these messages. That leaves me fairly confident that my
setup is OK.

It seems like I can ignore them. We haven't had any problems
resolving addresses. I'd like them not to be there. Do I just
upgrade the internal machines? Do I complain to my ISP? If I
upgradeall my machines to version 9 and the messages go away do
I still tell my ISP they have a problem?

Thanks,
 - Joel