SERVFAIL, id: 2

Pete Ehlke pde at ehlke.net
Fri Feb 20 14:51:15 UTC 2004

On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 09:21:51AM -0500, Steve Moore wrote:
> We are running bind 8.3.4 on AIX 5.1.  Our primary dns server refuses to
> resolve the MX record for nrci.com and responds with "status: SERVFAIL, id:
> 2" (see the dig results below).  The primary dns server resolves the A
> record for nrci.com just fine.  Also our secondary dns server (same bind
> and OS level) resolves both the A and MX record for nrci.com.
>
> I would appreciate any wisdom that you can provide.  Thanks.
>
> %dig nrci.com
>
> ; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> nrci.com
> ;; res options: init recurs defnam dnsrch
> ;; got answer:
> ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0
> ;; QUERY SECTION:
> ;;      nrci.com, type = A, class = IN
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> nrci.com.               6h45m3s IN A    64.177.30.195
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> nrci.com.               6h45m3s IN NS   NS1.FALCONWING.com.
> nrci.com.               6h45m3s IN NS   NS2.FALCONWING.com.

The nrci.com zone is broken. The delegation from com. is to
ns.thisismyserver.com and ns2.thisismyserver.com, but the data at those
servers, as you see, lists the falconwing.com servers. Neither
ns1.falconwing.com nor ns2.falconwing.com exists.

So if you ask for the MX and your server has no records yet for
nrci.com, you'll get the MX record from the thisismyserver.com machines.
But if you've already asked for any other nrci.com data, your server
will try to ask the nonexistant falconwing.com servers, and you get
SERVFAIL.

-Pete