Bind: heavy cpu load

Victor Escudero - Sun Spain - Technical Support Engineer victor.escudero at sun.com
Thu Feb 12 16:47:29 UTC 2004

Hi gurus,

We have just detected a lot of errors in our DNS servers with traces similar to:

12-Feb-2004 13:05:39.886 response-checks: info: bad referral
(xxx.yyy.zzz.in-addr.arpa !< uuu.xxx.yyy.zzz.in-addr.arpa) from [aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd].53

besides we have seen some wrong answers messages:

12-Feb-2004 13:01:34.448 response-checks: info: wrong ans. name (domain.com !=
server.domain.com)

The overall effect is that our in.named process is consuming a lot of cpu cycles
trying to resolve some IPs that really don't exist.

Until now everything was OK, so we suspect this is could be a virus attack or
similar.

Does anybody ever seen something like that before?

kind regards,
Vic.

PS: Please answer me directly, as I am not subscribed to this newsgroup.