Domains without 'www.', very frustrating

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Wed Feb 11 22:54:25 UTC 2004

In article <c0eag7$mur$1 at sf1.isc.org>, jakeg at lineone.net (Jake) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Before you shout at me, I'm seen various threads on this already and
> tried all the solutions but they're still not bloody working. I've
> been trying to get this working for about 2 hours now.
>
> I've setup a new server, jakeg.org, and http://www.jakeg.org is
> working fine. As is http://[anything].jakeg.org. But I can't get good
> ol' http://jakeg.org without a subdomain at the front.

Are you sure the problem isn't in the web server's configuration?  The
DNS entry looks fine to me:

$ host jakeg.org
jakeg.org has address 217.199.184.151

However, it looks like there's a problem with your secondary server,
ns.secondarynameserver.com.  It isn't answering authoritatively for your
domain.  I'm guessing that's why you have ns2.jakeg.org in your zone
file, even though its address is the same as ns.jakeg.org.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA