BIND9.3.0 installation

Gregory Hicks ghicks at cadence.com
Mon Dec 20 18:37:48 UTC 2004

> From: David Botham <DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com>
> Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 12:45:46 -0500
>
> bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 12/20/2004 12:39:55 PM:
> >
> > > From: David Botham <DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com>
> > > Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 11:13:42 -0500

> > > I am no expert in the realm of compiling, but, the README file in the
> > > root of the src directory says this:
> > >
> > >         Building with gcc is not supported, unless gcc is the
> > >         vendor's usual compiler (e.g. the various BSD systems,
> > >         Linux).
> >
> > I saw that message also.  However, I removed cc and built the
> > binaries.  The binaries work (on Solaris 7, 8, and 9).  All I did was
> > ensure that the requirements specified by the configure script were
> > met.
>
> As I thought, my lack of experience in this area reduced the significance
> of my post to zero.  Sorry for the noise...

David:

I wouldn't go so far as to say "... reduced the significance of my post
to zero. ..."  You originally asked:

> This is what I get when I try to configure 'GCC' for installation.
>
> Any help?
>
> # ./configure
> checking host system type... i386-pc-solaris2.9
> checking target system type... i386-pc-solaris2.9
> checking build system type... i386-pc-solaris2.9
> checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
> /usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed
> *** The command 'cc -o conftest -g   conftest.c' failed.
> *** You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler.
> #

This query WAS answered.  You MUST have a working compiler.  The SCRIPT
/usr/ucb/cc on Solaris 2.5->Solaris 9 (and probably Solaris 10 also)
installations checks for /opt/SUNWspro/bin/cc or /usr/ccs/bin/ucbcc and
fails with the message

"/usr/ucb/cc:  language optional software package not installed"

If neither one is found.  The configure script, however, doesn't know
how to parse this answer...

The answers ranged from

"Use Sun's compiler"
"use gcc but make sure that the gcc install location is included in
your $PATH variable."  (There were even sample instructions to try to
get gcc included in your path...)

There was also a caveat included that said "By the way, using gcc is
not supported unless gcc is the vendor's compiler of choice."

Someone else replied that gcc worked for them provided that the
requirements for the configure script were met.

So...  There WAS a lot of noise, but the query WAS answered in,
perhaps, more detail than you wanted...

However, if you were trying to get GCC running from source, this is
known as "bootstrapping" where you compile gcc with a non-gcc compiler,
use the binaries produced from that run to compile gcc again, and
finally use the second binary to compile gcc a final time to get a
working gcc compiler...

However, even here, you must have some sort of working compiler.

Regards,
Gregory Hicks

Gregory Hicks                           | Principal Systems Engineer
Cadence Design Systems                  | Direct:   408.576.3609
555 River Oaks Pkwy M/S 6B1             | Fax:      408.894.3479
San Jose, CA 95134                      | Internet: ghicks at cadence.com

I am perfectly capable of learning from my mistakes.  I will surely
learn a great deal today.

"A democracy is a sheep and two wolves deciding on what to have for
lunch.  Freedom is a well armed sheep contesting the results of the
decision." - Benjamin Franklin