How to find all aliases of an object using nslookup ??

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Dec 14 13:28:32 UTC 2004

In article <cplr96$10o6$1 at sf1.isc.org>, David Carmean <dlc at halibut.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 16, 2004 at 07:48:40PM -0500, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> > Paul Bullack wrote:
> >
> > >Hello there,
> > >
> > >how can I determine ALL aliases of a DNS object using nslookup
> > >(if possible, not the interactive way) only by command line.
> > >
> > There's no feasible way to find every instance in every zone file of a
> > CNAME pointing to a particular name, just as there's no feasible way to
> > find every instance of the phrase "rubber buggy bumpers" scrawled into
> > every personal diary throughout the world.
> >
> > If you want to find all CNAMEs pointing to a particular name in
> > *your*own* zones, then you could grep the zone files. Or to find all
> > instances in zones for which you have zone transfer permission, do the
> > zone transfers of each and look through the data.
>
> Or you could do what I do: add PTR records in the canonical node pointing
> to all the nodes with CNAME aliases.

There are two problems with this:

1) PTR records are only supposed to point to primary names, not aliases.

2) This only lists the aliases you know about.  The OP wanted to find
ALL the aliases.  Maybe he's the owner of the IP address, and wants to
find out if there are any aliases pointing to it that he doesn't know
about (so he can add them to the PTR record like you suggest).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA