Problem with Secondary systems with many zones

Steven Job list3 at wwwcrazy.com
Tue Dec 14 04:23:42 UTC 2004

Quoting Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu>:
> One important configuration is to make the slaves *not* send notifies.
> Otherwise, when the server starts up, there's a storm of notifies being
> sent to all the other slaves.

None of the secondary name servers are sending notifies.  The problem is that
the secondaries do not request the correct SOA records from the master.  So
then we are stuck removing the zone files and restarting the systems.

I am actually shocked that Bind is not made for this volume of domains.  But I
guess the root name server have very few domains.

What is a suggested number of domains that Bind can handle?  20k?

Does anyone know of a name server than can handle over 60k domains?

Thanks,
-Steve