Need help with reverse zone record

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Aug 31 03:21:41 UTC 2004

Chris Fortune wrote:

>>>SMTP error from remote mailer after initial connection:
>>>    host mx02.sccoast.net [66.153.203.185]: 550 Reverse DNS
>>>lookup failed for host 69.56.237.82
>>>

>>Reverse lookup seems to be working for these ips.  One possility is
>>that the receiving mail server is trying to match a forward A record
>>with the reverse PTR for 69.56.237.82.  if mail is in fact coming
>>from 69.56.237.82, some receiving smtp servers will deny a connection
>>from it because there is not forward A record for spameater.com that
>>points to 69.56.237.82.
>>
>>Just a guess
>>mv
>>

>DNS is so confusting.  Does the A record go into the zone record (not the
>reverse zone record)?
>
>How to do this?  Can I have two A records for the same domain name? Like
>this:
>spameater.com.           IN A     69.56.237.84
>
>spameater.com.           IN A     69.56.237.82

Sure, that's legal. But it means anyone looking up spameater.com, e.g.
from a web browser, might end up connecting to one address or another.
This is often called "round robin". So if you have a website or whatever
there, it should be listening to and serving up appropriate content
regardless of what IP address was used to access it.

                                          - Kevin