BIND 9.2 and Wildcards (MYSTERIOUS!)

Peter John Hartman peterjh at mennonot.net
Tue Aug 31 19:57:40 UTC 2004

We recently upgrade to bind 9.2.3 and have encountered a really strange effect with wildcards.
Our entry (which worked before):

*.mennonite.net. 14400 IN A 199.8.232.35

Now, this wildcard only sort of works.

I can ping foo.foo.mennonite.net but I can't ping foo.in.us.mennonite.net or foo.us.mennonite.net,
etc. unless I put in:

*.us    IN  A   199.8.232.35
*.in.us IN  A   199.8.232.35

Very strange!  Canadian sites do work, it should be noted: foo.on.ca.mennonite.net resolves
fine; in other words, it is just subdomains underneath us.MYDOMAIN.  No errors in the log.
I'm perplexed.

Peter John Hartman