Messages On Startup

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Aug 31 03:03:31 UTC 2004

In article <ch0mh4$1cv5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote:

> >If the default doesn't match your needs for private use, they only
> >inconvenience you, not anyone else.
> >
> I can sort of see that point, Barry, but as I've already asserted in
> this thread, it's usually large organizations that host DNS,
> organizations that can be expected to have hardened processes that
> prevent interoperability-causing data to be loaded into any nameserver
> at all. So for that small category, a conservative check-names seems
> rather superfluous.

Small organizations are usually the ones without experienced server
administrators.  Ideally they wouldn't be hosting publically-accessible
DNS in the first place, but we don't live in an ideal world.  I've had
to deal with plenty of these types, and anything the software can do to
make it easier for them to avoid mistakes is a blessing for the rest of
us.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA