Bind 9 on more servers

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Mon Aug 30 12:28:50 UTC 2004

At 08:22 AM 8/30/2004, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>

> > so how to start.
> > Ok I have 4 servers with bind 9 running, one as master and the others
> > as slave.
> > This is working fine.
> >
> > To my question:
> > Is it possible to have more "www" lines?
> > Lets say I have this in my db file:
> >

> > www IN A 192.168.168.150
> >
> > This means if somebody types www.mydomain.com in his browser he comes
> > automatically to 192.168.168.150.
> > But what is if this server is down, how can I redirect him?

You cannot do this via DNS. You need some sort of clustering hardware or
software solution.

> > I thought on:
> >
> > www IN A 192.168.168.150
> > www. IN A 192.168.168.151
> > www IN A 192.168.168.152
> >
> > www IN A 192.168.168.153
> >
> > or something like that,
> > When one server is down the user gets to an other server but what

No it won't. BIND has no way of telling if a server is up.

> > happens when all four servers are up, which one is getting the traffic.

The default behavior is a round robin cycling of all host records so it
will be load balanced. If one of four servers is down, 1/4 of your requests
will still go to the dead server and get no response.

> > Is something like that possible?
> > If yes how can I solve it?
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> > Dalibor Malek

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

There are 10 kinds of people in the world. Those who understand binary and
those that don't.