no IPv6 interfaces found

Marten Lehmann lehmann at cnm.de
Mon Aug 23 20:48:29 UTC 2004

> My laptop! It runs a name server and changes its interface address(es)
> depending on what network it's connected to.

It's your decision but in my eyes that's stupid. Why can't you just use
DHCP like all others do and use the nameservers of your provider? If
you're changing networks, you're changing IP-addresses also and you
probably get the new IP-address through DHCP. You hopefully don't wait
until BIND knows about the new interfaces after running its periodically
check instead of just restarting it. I don't see a problem for
restarting in your situation. Either you're running a nameserver where
other people and server rely on (no matter if caching nameserver or
authoritative zones), then you don't change IP-addresses all the time,
or you're running BIND as a resolver for your own, then 1 or 2 seconds
until BIND restarts doesn't matter.