Messages On Startup

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 20 02:33:50 UTC 2004

Mark Andrews wrote:

>>Barry Margolin wrote:

>>>That's why there's a configuration option.  Since BIND is usually used
>>>on Internet hosts, it's not unreasonable for the default setting to
>>>match this use.
>>>

>>"Usually"? I have 4 production nameservers serving DNS to the Internet
>>and 50+ nameservers serving the intranet.  I think most enterprise
>>customers have a similar ratio, or even more lopsided...
>>

>	And usually intranet's choose to follow the RFC's as well as
>	that is vendors manufacture products to.  That what they list
>	in there purchace requirements documents etc.

I've never seen strict RFC 952 compliance listed as a requirement for a
vendor's product. In fact, many vendors use underscores in the names
they use in examples, documentation, etc., and sometimes even hard-code
underscored names into their products. From what I've seen, RFC 952's
underscore restriction has been ignored for a long long time.

>	The fact that you are a exception does not change this.

An exception to what? For administrative IT functions (payroll,
accounting, office automation, groupware, etc.) we use the same vendors
as everyone else. We just get a higher volume discount, that's all :-)

                                          - Kevin