Fake root with selective forwarding

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Aug 20 00:52:44 UTC 2004

su_A_ve wrote:

>Kevin Darcy <kcd at daimlerchrysler.com> wrote in message news:<ceu9j9$28in$1 at sf1.isc.org>...
>

>>You need to delegate the parts of the namespace that you want to
>>selectively forward.
>>

>I'm not sure I'm doing it correclty though...  It seems to work, as no
>user would append a PERIOD when connecting to host, but I don't think
>it's right...
>
>If I do an nslookup, (notice the second query has a period at the end)
>I get the following:
>

>>www.google.com
>>

>Server:  NS.mydomain.net
>Address:  10.0.0.10
>
>Name:    www.google.com.mydomain.net
>Address:  10.0.0.10

nslookup sucks. What it's doing here is implementing a "searchlist"
after the initial query failed. Apparently you have a wildcard entry for
*.mydomain.net, so the searchlist matches that.

>>www.google.com.
>>

>Server:  NS.mydomain.net
>Address:  10.0.0.10
>
>*** NS.mydomain.net can't find www.google.com.: Non-existent
>host/domain

The trailing period prevents the "searchlist" logic. Your basic problem
is that "www.google.com" is not resolving. Did you delegate the parts of
the namespace you want to selectively forward, as I recommended in my
last message?

                                    - Kevin