recursive-clients queue size & clean-up

Ladislav Vobr lvobr at ies.etisalat.ae
Wed Aug 18 03:24:12 UTC 2004

KSP wrote:
 > Not to discount anyone else's findings -- obviously everyone's
environment
 > and needs are unique.  I've found BIND 9 to perform quite admirably in my
 > neck of the woods.  27 recursive servers running BIND 9.2.3, each
handling
 > around 5 million queries daily, cache sizes in the 400-500MB range.  All
 > have been performing without a single failure since the day we installed
 > 9.2.3.  Just providing another perspective.

5mil per day means, 57/sec, which is just few reqs, I have many servers
like yours without having problems, but when your traffic reaching
around 2000req/sec continuously I see that problem I described.

I am really wondering how CNS guys handling this, and how they handle
plenty of other things, cache priorities, query throttling, retries to
unreachable servers..

It really seems to me that bind9 is more to be authoritative server,
that public caching server serving thousands req/sec. Of course I am
trying here in my environment to distribute the traffic using several
ways, but it doesn't  really change the fact that bind9 used as a high
traffic recursive server is not probably suitable choice whatever way
you configure it.

Ladislav