Remote Slave Zones

phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu
Mon Aug 9 20:21:12 UTC 2004

Stephen Williams <williamss at adelphia.net> wrote:
> Good day all I have a quick question and this may sound very trivial bu=
t=20
> I can't find a good answer. I have a DNS configuration of four DNS=20
> server a stealth master server and three auth slave boxes now what I=20
> would like to know is if I build a new slave zone on my master server=20
> and then at some point remove it from the master will the auth slave=20
> boxes also remove the zone file from their system ( actually remove the=
=20
> file ) ? Thanks in advanced for any and all help on this matter.

The slaves will have a configuration ( a "zone declaration" ) . Removing
the zone from the master will not change this. What happens is that=20
when the slaves has fail to kontact the master for "expire period" they
will fail all answers for queries about that zone.

If you remove the zone from your master you must also remove the correspo=
nding
zone statement from all slaves.

( "expire period" is the 6'th parameter in the SOA record)

> Stephen

--=20
Peter H=E5kanson        =20
           Sorry about my e-mail address, but i'm trying to keep spam out=
,