Bind DNS Help

Mike Ross mike at rei-ki.co.uk
Mon Aug 9 14:53:36 UTC 2004

Hi,

First please excuse my lack of understanding towards BIND as it is something
I have not had much dealing with in the past.

At present we host a number of .co.uk domains, though for these websites we
use an external DNS hosting service.  From the Internet we can see all our
hosted websites without any bother.  If we use one of the computers behind
our Netgear FS328S firewall/router it correctly looks up the IP address
(which obviously points back to our router/firewall) as you would expect.
The problem is our router tries to be intelligent and realising the origin
of the request is from inside the firewall, points the request at the router
itself bringing up a login box for the router and completely ignores the
fact that it is web traffic destined for the demilitarized zones web server
(the router has a web front end).  We haven't found a way of turning this
off.

This problem results in the world being able to see our hosted websites, but
from inside our network all we can see is the router.

What we want to do is set up a DNS record to 'mask' the domain names that
are affected and to point them to our server internally (this DNS server
will be in-house only).   I know that if we were to set up a DNS master zone
for the 'co.uk' domain, this would solve the problem, but in doing so means
that we cannot see other external 'co.uk' domains.

In a nutshell - is there a way of using an in-house DNS server to handle
specified .co.uk domains while allowing all other .co.uk domains that do not
match to be forwarded on to an external DNS server?  If so, could you
provide an example of how it would be set up?

Any questions, please ask as I am not sure if I am making this very clear or
not.

Cheers

Mike Ross.