DNS name resolution failing - EPERM error

Greg Larkin glarkin at sourcehosting.net
Thu Aug 5 22:27:26 UTC 2004

Hi there,

I am trying to fix a problem on a Gentoo box that I am administering.
"uname -a" reports the following:

Linux host.name.com 2.4.19-gentoo-r10 #1 SMP Mon Jan 6 11:20:35 EST
2003 i686 Intel(R) Xeon(TM) CPU 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

I just discovered that I cannot ping any hosts from this machine due
to name resolution failures, except the ones defined in /etc/hosts.  I
am running commands as root, but they still can't seem to open the raw
socket to the DNS servers to send name resolution requests.

For instance:

# ping rsync.gentoo.org
ping: unknown host rsync.gentoo.org

I ran the same command with strace and saw these messages in the
output file:

socket(PF_INET, SOCK_RAW, IPPROTO_ICMP) = -1 EPERM (Operation not
permitted)
send(3, "5\4\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\5rsync\6gentoo\3org\0\0\1\0\1", 34,
0) = -1 EPERM (Operation not permitted)

My /etc/resolv.conf is fine and I can ping the name servers by IP
address with no problem.  What else could be wrong?  If anyone has any
ideas, please let me know.

The machine is fully accessible from the outside via SSH and it is
serving web sites and processing mail, although I'm not sure how it is
delivering outbound mail!

Regards,
Greg Larkin
----