MORE THAT ONE DOMAINE ON THE SAME IP

Kerry Thompson kerry at security.geek.nz
Thu Aug 5 21:00:11 UTC 2004

Patrick said:
> I have many domaine names
> firstname.com
> secondname.com
> xxxname.com
>
> I have a DNS ip:aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa
> I have a WEBSERVER ip:aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa
>
> I configure my DNS like that:
>
> firstname.com A record => aaa.aaa.aaa.aaa
> www.            CNAME record of firstname.com

<snip>
> that the correct method ?
> or I can  create a CNAME for secondname.com who point to firstname.com ?

The above looks correct. You should create A records for the domain name
and create CNAME records for the www. names pionting to the A recs. In
theory you can't create CNAME records for the domain name because the
standards state that if you have a CNAME then you can not have any other
records with the same name ( which would prevent having SOA and NS records
for the domain ).

> I use WINDOWS2003

OK. I hope you're using BIND on that...

> many thanks for all your help

No problem. But take some advice for next time : please don't use all
capitals in subject lines, and showing your real configuration will make
things easier.

Kerry

--
Kerry Thompson