delegation of subnet to remote DNS?

BOG junk at 1command.com
Wed Aug 4 04:32:45 UTC 2004

Greetings Andrew,
 What you will need to do *can* be done. However, this will depend upon a few
prerequisits. First, do they have a domain name that you are managing for them?
If so you can simply setup a zone for that domain pulling a .252 mask of the
IP they were assigned by SBC. If SBC did, in fact assign them this IP on more
than a short time lease. Once you have setup the zone, they *should* (might)
put a CNAME in their IN-ADDR.ARPA for you/ your customer. The main point here
will be setting up the IN-ADDR.ARPA. If you don't set this up properly, setting
up a mail server on this SBC IP will be a pointless endeavor. No self respecting
DNS/ mail server operator will even consider accepting mail from you/ your
customer unless it is valid. This is how we prevent our customers from recieving
SPAM/ UCE. As a matter of fact, I run a public BL (blocklist) for just that
purpose. In any event, if you have the slightest knowledge of running a DNS,
you now know what I'm saying and what you have to do. A *very* short pointer
follows:

  ;ZONE sumdomain.dom

$ORIGIN sumdomain.dom
@	IN	SOA	nameserver.yourdomain.dom   rp.yourdomain.dom
                        serialnumber ; serial
			refreshttl   ; Refresh
			retryttl     ; Retry
			whenexpires  ; Expire
			minttl )     ; Minimum
                        IN  NS  nameserver.yourdomain.dom
                        IN  A   SBCaddress
                        IN  MX  mailserver

mailserver  IN A  SBCaddress
etc  etc  etc
etc  etc  etc
   ; END OF ZONE sumdomain.dom

  ; START IN-ADDR.ARPA.

$ORIGIN		SBCaddress.in.reverse.IN-ADDR.ARPA.
$TTL	sumtime
@	IN	SOA	nameserver.yourdomain.dom. rp.yourdomain.dom. (
	serialnumber ; Serial
        etc ; etc
        etc ; etc
        etc ;
        etc ) ; etc

gateway.SBCaddress.inreverse.IN-ADDR-ARPA.   IN PTR  GW.sumdomain.dom.

SBC.address.inreverse.IN-ADDR.ARPA.  IN  PTR  mailserver.sumdomain.dom.

network.SBCaddress.inreverse.IN-ADDR-ARPA.   IN  PTR  network.sumdomain.dom.

  ;END IN-ADDR-ARPA.

There is *alot* more to understand. But you've provided *very few* details
as to what resources you have to work with. If you don't have a very good
knowledge of bind (DNS), you have a *great deal* ahead of you, in order to
accomplish this. You have been warned.