nslookup: giving error when used with UDP

sekhar n sekhar_nv at yahoo.co.in
Wed Apr 28 09:14:09 UTC 2004

Hi all, I am facing the problem with DNS/BIND. when I tried nslookup (from the machine with Tru64 Unix OS) without any option (meaning it uses UDP to send the packets), the server is returning the error.nslookup hostnamecan't find hostname: Server failed When I used nslookup -vc option(if you mention -vc option, then it uses TCP to send packets), the server is responding properly. nslookup -vc hostnameThis time it is giving the IP address of the hostname by using the default server. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Sekhar