Hostname only

Rich Parkin RParkin at ldmi.com
Mon Apr 19 18:25:40 UTC 2004

Hello!

Not sure about how Linux gets configured by default because I haven't
played with it as much, but in Windows you have the ability to set "DNS
suffixes" that are appended to every search for an unqualified hostname.
 In resolver terms, it would be the search list.  It also tries to
append the "DNS suffix" of the workstation itself, if that's configured.
 I would expect that you have this option set up... otherwise, the
unqualified hostname would not resolve unless it were in your hosts
file.

On the server itself, your resolver's behavior (assuming some flavor of
UNIX) is probably controlled by the /etc/resolv.conf file.  By adding a
domain or search directive to this file, you can make it do the same
thing.

For example, you might add this to your resolv.conf:

domain bogus.bogus

-or-

search bogus.bogus

I'd be surprised if the linux machine didn't already have something
like this in its' /etc/resolv.conf.  You may have already thought of
this, but I figured I'd mention it.

Richard Parkin
System Administrator
CCNA
Data Center Operations
LDMI Telecommunications

>>> Oliver Sampson <olsam at quickaudio.com> 4/19/2004 12:45:02 PM >>>
Howdy,
I've just installed got bind/named up and running on my server, and
everything seems to be working fine except for one little detail.