Many A-records

Jonathan de Boyne Pollard J.deBoynePollard at Tesco.NET
Thu Apr 8 10:26:01 UTC 2004

JSGJ> I have a basic understanding of DNS, not really in-depth.  My
JSGJ> idea of the:
JSGJ>         CUST CNAME --> YOUR CNAME --> A record --> IP address
JSGJ> was a attempt to reslove my understanding fih's issue.  Where
JSGJ> "YOUR CNAME" was a CNAME in a zone that fih owns and manages
JSGJ> Which was basically, he does not want to have to tell his
JSGJ> customers to update their DNS entries for host names that
JSGJ> point to servers he runs.

My reading of

    f> They want me to add fake A-records in the customers namespace
    f> so our services will have different names depending who is
    f> asking.

was that the company asked him to set up the company's content DNS
servers to provide content DNS service for his customers' domain
names, because the company's content HTTP servers supported virtual
hosting.  In other words: his company was providing _both_ content
HTTP _and_ content DNS hosting services to its customers.