How F-Root Server works?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Apr 9 21:16:08 UTC 2004

In article <c56q8m$qlh$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jim Reid <jim at rfc1035.com>
wrote:

> A few of the root servers are doing anycasting. Some TLD name servers
> do this too. Eventually everybody who has important DNS data will do
> this. Though they'll most likely buy a DNS hosting service that
> provides anycasting. There are a couple of commercial offerings for
> anycast DNS hosting today.

We used anycasting for both our authoritative and caching DNS servers
when I was at Genuity (now Level(3)).  It's a really great feature for
caching servers.  In the past, we gave out different IP's to use in
resolver settings depending on where the customer connected to our
backbone, but anycasting allowed us to document a single set of servers
for all customers to use.  If we needed to take down a server, we would
first remove the route from its upstream router, and instantly the
clients would be redirected to the next closest server.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA