delegation question

David Botham DBotham at OptimusSolutions.com
Wed Oct 22 18:58:36 UTC 2003

bind-users-bounce at isc.org wrote on 10/22/2003 02:29:37 PM:
> Hi All!
>
> I have bind 8.4.1 set up as primary NS for our 21 domains.  We recently
> installed a Radware Linkproof and a second internet connection.  To
> finish up the installation, I need to delegate to the Linkproof box.  It
> was explained to me that I should delegate `www' as a subdomain?  will I
> need to delegate all host entries('A' records?) such as mail, server1,

Only delegate those domain names for which you want to provide link
redundancy via the linkproof.

> server2, etc. as subdomains also?  What changes do I need make to the

for say 'www' you would:

1.  Remove the A RR for that domain name.

2.  Add two NS RR's for the domain name in question (assuming you have two
LinkProofs, you do have 2 don't you?  If you don't, you now have redundant
Internet connections terminated into a single LinkProof, and I am sure
that is probably not what you were going for...).  The two name servers
specified should be the two Virtual DNS servers you set up for your LP's.
The RR's might look like this:

www     NS    vdns1.yourdomain.com.
www     NS    vdns2.yourdomain.com.

3.  Make sure that there are A RR's for the to vdns RR's above in the
"yourdomain.com" zone.

> zone file for this?  Has anyone else had experience with setting up a
> linkproof box?

Yes, I have lots.  The LP's implementation of a name server is quite
limited.  For instance, you will not be able to provide link redundancy
for the domain name of "yourdomain.com".

Dave...