Problems Resolving mdswim.org

Smith, William E. (Bill), Jr. Bill.Smith at jhuapl.edu
Tue Oct 14 19:43:25 UTC 2003

Late last week, a user reported problems getting to www.mdswim.org
<www.mdswim.org> .  Turned out after investigation that the DNS lookup of
the host was failing via our servers for some reason.  I was able to look up
the host from a remote system's DNS server.  With that IP address I was able
to resolve it on my DNS servers.  It's simply the forward lookup which is
not working.  I ended up purging the cache on our 3 secondary DNS servers on
a whim and that fixed the problem. Unfortunately, the problem cropped up
again this week.  I'm at a loss now as to what the problem is.  I'm also
able to traceroute/ping the destination host as well but not able to access
via DNS.  Any ideas on what's going on here?  Will provide further info as
needed/requested.
<mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu <mailto:bill.smith at jhuapl.edu>
ISS Systems Server Group
Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory
11100 Johns Hopkins Road
Laurel, MD 20723
Phone:  443-778-5523
Web:  http://www.jhuapl.edu <http://www.jhuapl.edu>