Q dns won't work after some time

Barry Margolin barry.margolin at level3.com
Tue Oct 14 18:21:35 UTC 2003

In article <bmhdpe$k89$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jason <JASON88 at seed.net.tw> wrote:
>My DNS will be working fine if I retart my Linux box, however, after some
>time period, the DNS seems dead, I don't know why. Then if I do nslookup
>from the outside dns server, it can't find my A record.  My linux box is
>RedHat 7.3.
>Here is my zone setting:

You have to tell us the real domain if you want us to figure out what's
wrong.

If you won't tell us this, try entering your domain at www.dnsreport.com to
see what it has to say.

>$TTL 3600
>@ IN SOA DNS.XXX.com.  Jason.XXX.com. (
>   2003060403 ; serial
>   3600 ; refresh
>   3600 ; retry
>   3600 ; expire
>   3600 ; ttl
>   )

Setting the Expire time the same as the Refresh period is BAD.  This means
the slave servers may expire the zone before they've had a chance to
refresh it.

>@ IN NS DNS.XXX.com.

You need to have NS records for the slave servers as well.  Also, does this
NS record match the delegations?

>@ IN MX 5 DNS
>XXX.com. IN MX 1 DNS

Why do you have two MX records pointing to the same host?

Barry Margolin, barry.margolin at level3.com
Level(3), Woburn, MA