Newbie question (long)

Michael Garriss mgarriss at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 13 17:48:03 UTC 2003

Walter Schiessberg wrote:
> Michael Garriss wrote on 13.10.2003 17:57:
>

> [...]
>
>>Okay, those log messages helped.  I've opened up port 53 both directions
>>now, could someone retry?
>

> It's still "connection timed out; no servers could be reached" with dig.
>

>>Also is there a way I can test my server from
>>outside my site without being outside my site?
>

> http://www.geektools.com/digtool.php

Nice!  That's the link I was looking for.  Thank you.  I have
made some recent firewall changes and when I use that digtool I
get this:

; <<>> DiG 8.2 <<>> @68.166.119.162 uglymonkeys.com A
; (1 server found)
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1,
ADDITIONAL: 0
;; QUERY SECTION:
;;	uglymonkeys.com, type = A, class = IN

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
uglymonkeys.com.	14m24s IN SOA	uglymonkeys.com.
root.uglymonkeys.com. (
					200310101	; serial
					8H		; refresh
					2H		; retry
					1h40m48s	; expiry
					14m24s )		; minimum

;; Total query time: 68 msec
;; FROM: gp.centergate.com to SERVER: 68.166.119.162
;; WHEN: Mon Oct 13 10:42:34 2003
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 33  rcvd: 74

This is good news right?  However when I go to DomainPlanet to
set DNS to my server I still get:

com.primus.tld.nameserver.NSChangeException: completed: NO: RRP
returned unsuccessful!

Also when do the above I see nothing in my logs from
DomainPlanet other then webserver traffic.  It's like they are
not even trying to talk to my name server or it's being blocked
before it gets to me.  Could my ISP (earthlink or covad) being
screwing with me?

Michael