Contacting a Parent NameServer.

ericcvt ericcvt at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 7 20:09:49 UTC 2003

I'm using RH 8.I believe I have set up DNS correctly. When I type host
xxxx it shows info about the xxxx machine. In addition, when I update
the zone files on my primary zone, the updates travel to my secondary
server. I can use dig and nslookup to get info on my DNS and outside
domains, but when I try to have an outside domain detect my domain I
get "connection timed out;; no servers could be reached." I read in
DNS & Bind 4th edition that I have to register my zone files with the
parent name server. Several weeks ago I brought a domain from
www.networksolutions.com. When I  emailed networksolutions, I got no
meaningful help. I do know that networksolutions has provided me with
two nameservers. ns13.worlnic.com & ns14.worldnic.com.

I'm a math teacher and would eventually create a webserver to provide
parents with info how their child is doing in my class. I don't want
to purchase SPACE on some company on webserver. Too many of them have
severe restrictions.