CBS Radio news

Gordon Burditt gordonb.v3fmm at sneaky.lerctr.org
Sat Oct 4 02:59:13 UTC 2003

>Heh. I can think of several other companies who provide world-wide DNS
>and network services who'd happily take over the root name servers from
>Verisign.
>
>Time to yank back some IP addresses and end some contracts, I hope?

As I understand it, registrars provide some monetary support for
ICANN per domain per year and pass this cost on to the domain
registrants.  For all practical purposes, Verisign has registered
approximately 28**64 domains for sitefinder, less the ones registered
by other people.  Therefore it owes 28**64 times this fee to ICANN.
However, I don't think even Bill Gates can afford a nanosecond's
interest on this amount.

						Gordon L. Burditt