Small Business Lan Internal DNS Setup

Spivack spivackm at theeagleforce.com
Wed Oct 1 13:02:53 UTC 2003

Hello All,

Here's the regular new to this, limited DNS setup experience and need
to setup internal DNS setup for our small business lan.

Currently, we have a business DSL connection with Verizon.  We don't
host our own DNS and I have a internal sun application requirement to
setup internal DNS for a Sun One Identity server.  Our domainname for
our website and incomming email is hosted by Earthlink.  Our ISP and
outgoing email is hosted by Verizon.

Being new to this, I was hoping someone could give me some pointers in
taking one of our Sun Fire V480's and turning it into a DNS server
that we can use internally with our windows clients as well as this
Sun application, also I'd like to in the future provide the DNS
hosting for our domainname and email.

Could anyone give me some specific pointers and procedures in how I
would accomplish this.  I've gotten some named templates from Sun but
they aren't very helpful in describing how I would get verizon's DNS
servers to play with my internal one.

I've read that all we need to do for the first requirement is to setup
a forwarding DNS server.  Does this require me to contact Verizon or
can I do this on my own?

As far as hosting our own domainname, will just setting up a
forwarding server do that job or is it going to required a different
type of DNS setup?

Oh, one further note, with verizon we only have one external IP
address available.  I hope this doesn't hurt us any.

Thanks in advanced to your responses.

-Michael