bind and dhcp updates

Landy Atkinson atkinson at rochester.rr.com
Fri Oct 31 16:49:26 UTC 2003

At 9:32 PM +0000 10/30/03, phn at icke-reklam.ipsec.nu wrote:
>Scott Ware <scott at eardown.com> wrote:
>>  Is there any good way to have a dhcp server dynamically update the dns
>>  records with new dhcp clients' addresses?
>
>>  Thanks
>
>Yes.
>
>The _real_ issue is "why" ?
>
>--
>Peter H=E5kanson

I've wondered the same thing.  My reason for=20
wanting this is that in a Windows98 peer-to-peer=20
network (i.e. no Windows server providing WINS=20
services), "My Network Places" doesn't find other=20
clients unless they are listed in a Hosts file or=20
can resolve in our local DNS.  I've thought about=20
switching to DHCP for the 40 client machines at=20
the small school I help out with, but haven't=20
because then Hosts and DNS would not be current.

Can someone please point to where DHCP / BIND=20
interaction setup is documented.  I have both=20
running on a RH Linux 7.2 server and am only=20
interested in updating the zone for our private=20
network (192.168.10.X).  Named is now running as=20
the master for our internal network and a caching=20
name server for lookups outside our private=20
network.

-Landy